iHealthU Eat Healthy Articles
Seeds For Health
Seeds are tiny but power packed foodstuffs. They are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Each seed has its own benefit. You can add them in food, salads, trail mixes, or just garnish desserts with it. You must have noticed, these days lot of processed foods have seeds added to them, for example multigrain bread, chikki, chivdas etc to add on the nutritional and fiber value of these foods. Let√Ę‚¨‚Ęs talk about the health benefits of some seeds.
1. Sunflower seeds:
- It is rich in vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant. It prevents the heart and skin from damage by free radicals thereby preventing heart attacks and strokes.
- It is a great source of magnesium which reduces asthma and blood pressure and also acts as a muscle relaxant.
- Due to its high fiber and physterol (cholesterol identical compound in plants), it reduces bad cholesterol.
- Filled with folate which is responsible for synthesis of DNA and RNA. If taken by pregnant women, it can prevent neural tube defects in the baby.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties and reduce the pain in arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.
- Excellent source of selenium - a powerful antioxidant which prevents the risk of cancers like breast, stomach, prostrate etc in humans.
- Very high in fiber which helps prevent constipation and acts as a natural laxative.
- Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, hence, a valuable source for vegetarians. It helps to reduce blood pressure and many other inflammatory problems in the body.
- Rich in lignans and omega 3 fatty acids which reduce cholesterol and prevent heart problems by unclogging arteries.
- Due to its high fiber, it helps to control blood sugar levels and keep diabetes under check. 2 tbsp of flaxseeds/day in powdered form is great and can be added to soups, salads, veggies, buttermilk, curd etc.
- It had an ability to regulate estrogen in the body and hence prevents breast cancers in women and pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS).
- It may also prevent prostate cancer and prostate enlargement in men.
- Additionally, it helps in improving the quality of nails, skin and hair.
3. Pumpkin seeds:
- It is rich in tryptophan which can reduce depression.
- Rich in iron, hence, prevents anemia and improves energy.
- Due to its high content of magnesium, it improves concentration and brain function in children.
- It improves prostate health in men.
- Manganese in pumpkin seeds help antioxidants work better hence reduce chances of infectious diseases.
- They are rich in MUFA hence reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
- It is rich in zinc which helps to prevent osteoporosis especially in men.
- Eat them handful or sprinkle them on salads.