iHealthU Live Stress Free Articles
All that you need to know about Detox
Everyone these days is talking about detoxification. But what is detox?
A Detox diet is one which involves food and herbs to eliminate toxins from the body. It emphasizes on foods which are high on vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to prevent damage to the body and foods rich in fiber and water to clear the system by increasing the frequency of urination and stools.
In our daily life, we ingest a lot of toxins through air, food and water. The increasing use of pesticides, chemicals, preservatives, additives in food and drinks and pollution in the air causes deposits of toxins in our fat cells. If our diet is inadequate in nutrients, it can lead to illness and health issues. Signs such as indigestion, headache, skin problems, tiredness, fatigue and poor concentration are indicative.
If you do a small detox every day, you will notice - Improved digestion, a lot more energy despite eating less! Also, you will feel that you can focus more on work at hand - without food to distract you. Other benefits are clearer skin, better sleep and better bowl movements. Overall, you will definitely feel lighter and refreshed.
Now for the Food Strategies...
Try to eat a lot of these foods -
- Fruits and nuts
- Fruit juices
- Raw veggies
- Veg juices
- Lemon juice
- Coconut water
- Thin dals
- Green tea
Try to Avoid and eat less of these -
- Dairy - Milk, Curd, Paneer, Butter, ghee
- Non-Veg - Meat, Fish, Chicken, Eggs etc
- Outside Food
- Fried and Spicy Food
- Sweets (Chocolate, Desserts, Mithai, Cakes)
- Tea, coffee and soft drinks (other than green tea of course)
Points to remember:
- You can opt for a 3-day detox diet every month. On the first day, you might feel hunger pangs and tiredness but you will overcome this on the second and third day.
- Don't do it more than once a month - your body needs ample nourishment to be healthy.
- Pregnant and lactating women should avoid going on a detox program.
- Go for 30 minutes walk - stay active. Exercise is another great detox.
- Do not stop or reduce mediation dosage during this diet.
- If detox diet does not suit you or you feel sick - stop it immediately.
- After the diet, get back to normal food gradually. Do not over eat. Introduce grains, milk and foods slowly and one at a time.
Our body is a temple, let us worship it. On a practical note, though, our bodies work like machines - yes, they will take a lot of rust and loosely fixed accessories and still manage to trudge along. However, if not properly maintained and oiled, this machine will be subject to internal corrosion over time and just when you don't expect it, there'll be a collapse.
So, oil your machine. Lead a happy, healthy life.