iHealthU Live Stress Free Articles
A Fast to Cleanse Your Body
Some people fast (once a week or a specific period of the year) mostly for religious purposes. The right kind of fast, however, can help to detox your system.
Here is how you can make the fasting period work in your favour:
Your healthy fasting programme
1. Eat small portions but do not starve.
2. Include plenty of fluids, water, fresh fruit and vegetable juices.
3. Include foods rich in micronutrients, anti-oxidants and phytochemicals (disease fighting nutrients) ΓΆβ¬β fruits and vegetables.
4. Include variety through alternate foods that are cooked in a healthy manner and thus, ensure good nutrition.
5. Break your fast with coconut water/milk/yoghurt/buttermilk/vegetable or fruit juice/soup/fruits.
6. Do not eat too much immediately after breaking your fast.
Plan one major meal with alternate grains, prepared in minimal oil, which should ideally be had before sunset. Snack on milk, yoghurt, fruits, nuts, seeds, dry fruits and coconut. Such a diet can help you drop kilos and boost energy!
These principles conform to scientific principles of nutrition. Balancing everyday eating patterns with controlled eating - as done during a fast - when practised on a regular, long-term basis, can indeed prove to be healthful. It not only helps in controlling weight, but also promotes better digestion, improves energy and promotes a feeling of lightness and well-being. Most importantly, it helps you stay tuned in with your body.
Always remember, detoxifying your body of all the harmful chemicals released in your body through high-calorie foods should be your prime motive behind fasting. For losing weight, there's always a healthy diet AND exercise. Be sure to follow that!